Postdoctoral Research Associate
Ph.D., Medical Biophysics
University of Western Ontario
B.M.Sc., Honors Specialization in
University of Western Ontario
Matthew Lowerison, Ph.D., is a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. He was previously a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Urology/Radiology at Mayo Clinic. His research interests focus on ultrasound microvessel imaging, super-resolution ultrasound localization microscopy, and the application of ultrasound for the characterization of tumor microenvironments and the monitoring of anti-cancer therapies.
- Ultrafast ultrasound imaging
- Super-resolution ultrasound microvessel imaging
- Ultrasonic characterization of tumor microenvironment
Selected Journal Articles
- Huang C, Lowerison MR, Trzasko JD, Manduca A, Bresler Y, Tang S, Gong P, Lok U, Song P, Chen S, “Short Acquisition Time Super-Resolution Ultrasound Microvessel Imaging via Microbubble Separation,” Sci. Rep., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–13, Apr. 2020, doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-62898-9.
- Tang S, Song P, Trzasko JD, Lowerison MR, Huang C, Gong P, Lok U, Manduca A, Chen S, “Kalman Filter–Based Microbubble Tracking for Robust Super-Resolution Ultrasound Microvessel Imaging,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, pp. 1–1, 2020, doi: 10.1109/TUFFC.2020.2984384.
- Lowerison MR, Huang C, Lucien F, Chen S, and Song P, “Ultrasound localization microscopy of renal tumor xenografts in chicken embryo is correlated to hypoxia,” Sci. Rep., vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 1–13, Feb. 2020, doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-59338-z.
- D’Costa N, Lowerison MR, Raven P, Tan Z, Roberts M, Shrestha R, Urban M, Monjaras-Avila C, Oo H, Hurtado-Coll A, Chavez-Munoz C, and So A, “Y-box binding protein-1 is crucial in acquired drug resistance development in metastatic clear-cell renal cell carcinoma,” J. Exp. Clin. Cancer Res., vol. 39, no. 1, p. 33, Feb. 2020, doi: 10.1186/s13046-020-1527-y.
- Ma X, Zhu P, Ding Y, Zhang H, Qiu Q, Dvornikov A, Wang Z, Kim M, Wang Y, Lowerison MR, Yu Y, Norton N, Herrmann J, Ekker S, Hsiai T, Lin X, and Xu X, “Retinoid X receptor alpha is a spatiotemporally predominant therapeutic target for anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity,” Sci. Adv., vol. 6, no. 5, p. eaay2939, Jan. 2020, doi: 10.1126/sciadv.aay2939.
- Ding Y, Dvornikov A, Ma X, Zhang H, Wang Y, Lowerison MR, Packard P, Wang L, Che J, Zhang Y, Hsiai T, Lin X, and Xu X, “Haploinsufficiency of mechanistic target of rapamycin ameliorates bag3 cardiomyopathy in adult zebrafish,” Dis. Model. Mech., vol. 12, no. 10, Oct. 2019, doi: 10.1242/dmm.040154.
- Huang C, Lowerison MR, Lucien F, Wang D, Gong P, Song P, Chen S, “Noninvasive Contrast-Free 3D Evaluation of Tumor Angiogenesis with Ultrasensitive Ultrasound Microvessel Imaging,” Sci. Rep., vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 1–11, Mar. 2019, doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-41373-0.
- Pinto N, Prokopec S, Vizecoumar F, Searle K, Lowerison MR, Ruicci KM, Yoo J, Fung K, MacNeil D, Lacefield JC, Leong HS, Mymryk JS, Barrett JW, Datti A, Boutros PC, and Nichols AC, “Lestaurtinib is a potent inhibitor of anaplastic thyroid cancer cell line models,” PLoS ONE, vol. 13, no. 11, Nov. 2018, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0207152.
- Ghasemi F, Black M, Vizeacoumar F, Pinto N, Ruicci KM, Le CCSH, Lowerison MR, Leong HS, Yoo J, Fung K, MacNeil D, Palma DA, Winquist E, Mymryk JS, Boutros PC, Datti A, Barrett JW, and Nichols AC, “Repurposing Albendazole: new potential as a chemotherapeutic agent with preferential activity against HPV-negative head and neck squamous cell cancer,” Oncotarget, vol. 8, no. 42, pp. 71512–71519, Apr. 2017, doi: 10.18632/oncotarget.17292.
- Lowerison MR, Tse JJ, Hague MN, Chambers AF, Holdsworth DW, and Lacefield JC, “Compound speckle model detects anti-angiogenic tumor response in preclinical nonlinear contrast-enhanced ultrasonography,” Med. Phys., vol. 44, no. 1, pp. 99–111, 2017, doi: 10.1002/mp.12030.
- Lowerison MR, Hague MN, Chambers AF, and Lacefield JC, “Improved Linear Contrast-Enhanced Ultrasound Imaging via Analysis of First-Order Speckle Statistics,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control, vol. 63, no. 9, pp. 1409–1421, Sep. 2016, doi: 10.1109/TUFFC.2016.2578181.